Collection ASU0070 - Ring Theatre records

Identity elements

Reference code

ASU0070

Name and location of repository

Level of description

Collection

Title

Ring Theatre records

Date(s)

  • 1970-1980 (Creation)

Extent

67 Boxes

Name of creator

Administrative history

The University of Miami opened in the fall of 1926 with two academic units: the Conservatory of Music (later called the School of Music), and the College of Arts and Sciences. The School was founded by Bertha M. Foster, who became the University’s first music dean. It was renamed the Frost School of Music in 2003 in honor of a landmark naming gift by Dr. Phillip and Patricia Frost, ardent supporters of the arts in Miami.

The School has survived many decades of change and growth to become a national music leader in higher education. It offers degrees in instrumental performance, vocal performance, music engineering, music education, music composition, and musical theatre. It also offers Studio Music and Jazz degrees for instrumentalists and vocalists. Its Studio Music and Jazz program is consistently known as among the best in the nation. It was also the first music school in the nation to offer the innovative degree in Music Business and Entertainment Industries, as well as boasting a hands-on music therapy program.

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Ring Theatre has been offering exciting theatre to the city of Coral Gables and the greater Miami area via the University of Miami's historic theatre company and the producing arm of the Department of Theatre Arts (itself a producer of theatre in Miami since 1936). The name for the Ring grew out of the company's first in-the-round performance which placed the audience in a "ring" around the stage. The current building was constructed in 1951. Its unusual circular design and first-of-its-kind, flexible seating arrangement drew national headlines. In the 1970s, the Ring permanently changed its seating configuration to three-sided thrust. After a complete renovation of the theatre house in 1996, the Ring has now returned to total flexibility and offers three different kinds of staging as well as three seating arrangements. The newly remodeled theatre has been renamed for UM alumnus, Jerry Herman. The new stage has been named the Alvin Sherman Family Stage in honor of Mr. Sherman's generous support of our renovation project

Content and structure elements

Scope and content

This collection contains performance programs, records, and reports of the Ring Theatre from 1970 to 1980.

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use elements

Conditions governing access

Physical access

Technical access

Conditions governing reproduction

Languages of the material

  • English

Scripts of the material

Language and script notes

Finding aids

Generated finding aid

Acquisition and appraisal elements

Custodial history

Immediate source of acquisition

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information

Accruals

Related materials elements

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related archival materials

Related descriptions

Notes element

Specialized notes

Alternative identifier(s)

Description control element

Rules or conventions

Sources used

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places