Name and location of repository
Level of description
Florida Architect May/June, 1991
- 1991 (Publication)
Name of creator
Courses in architecture were first offered at the University of Miami as early as 1926, however programs in architecture and the allied arts did not survive the effects of the Great Miami Hurricane, and the Great Depression. Architectural engineering courses resurfaced under the auspices of the School of Engineering in the late 1940s following World War II, and by 1983, during President Thaddeus "Tad" Foote's administration, the Department of Architecture became independent from the School of Engineering developing into the School of Architecture proper. New campus quarters established at Building 49 (Dickinson Drive) and part of first floor of the adjacent Eaton student residences. The first Dean of the School was John Thomas Regan (1983-1989).
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
- Where There's Smoke...:The state's new Fire and Arson Lab is a state-of-the-art facility designed by Elliot and Marshall, P.A.
- A Therapeutic Light-Filled Space: The Sid Martin Bridge House has a "residential" quality which architect Lewis Brown hopes will enhance its effectiveness as a counseling center.
- Charles Harrison Pawley, FAIA: Architecture for Soft Breezes: This profile by Herb Hiller describes the design philosophy of South Florida architect Pawley and how that philosophy has made him a hero in Miami's Haitian community.
- A Tampa Eatery With A Warehouse Aesthetic: Rick Rowe's design for the Loading Dock in Tampa was inspired by Ybor City warehouses.
- Shaping (literally) UM's Architecture School: Balwdin Sackman Carrington prepared all the construction documents for Aldo Rossi's new tower at the University of Miami's School of Architecture.