Name and location of repository
Level of description
Jeanne Perkins Harman papers
- 1956-1963 (Creation)
- 1956-1963 (Creation)
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
Jeanne Perkins Harmans was a journalist and writer residing in the Virgin Islands of the United States. The collection consists of materials from and regarding the Virgin Islands on a wide range of issues in the late 1950s and early 1960s, including political conditions and controversies, tourism, description of the islands, and race and sexuality concerns on the islands. Many of the items consist of correspondence with and type-written notes by Harmans, or clippings from newspaper articles by Harmans and others; but there are also reports, periodicals, brochures, bibliographies, and maps. Some of the correspondence concerns Harmans's publishing activities, including that of a 1691 book titled "The Virgins: Magic Islands." A signed copy of this book was contained in the collection, but later separated out and housed with the Special Collections monographs.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions governing reproduction
Jeanne Perkins Harman Papers Finding Aid © 2009 University of Miami. All rights reserved. Requests to reproduce or publish materials from this collection should be directed to email@example.com.
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Generated finding aid
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related archival materials
Harman, Jeanne. The Virgins: magic islands. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1961.
See also the following books by Jeanne Harman that the University of Miami Libraries holds:
Harman, Jeanne. The Love Junk. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1951.
- --. Such Is Life. New York: Crowell, 1956.
- --. The Virgins: magic islands. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1961.
- --. Fielding's Guide To The Caribbean, Including The Bahamas. New York: Fielding Publications, 1968.
Description control element
Rules or conventions
Subject access points
Place access points
- Florida -- Race relations
- St. Croix (V.I.)
- St. John, (V.I.)
- Virgin Islands of the United States -- Description and travel
- Virgin Islands of the United States -- Newspapers
- Virgin Islands of the United States -- Periodicals
- Virgin Islands of the United States -- Politics and government
- Virgin Islands of the United States -- Social conditions