Name and location of repository
Level of description
- 1985-1997 (Creation)
Name of creator
José J. Fernández Partagás was born in Havana, Cuba on May 14, 1935. In 1954 he graduated from the Instituto Edison de Bachiller en Ciencias y Letras. In 1960 he received from the University of Havana a doctorate in math, and in 1964 he received his MS in Meteorology from Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida.
His areas of specialization were weather analysis, specialized forecasting, climatology, hurricane studies, and tropical meteorology. He held the following professional positions:
• Meteorologist, Cuban National Observatory (1960 -1961)
• Graduate Assistant, Department of Meteorology, Florida State University (1962-1964)
• Meteorological Offices, Department of Civil Aviation, Nassau, Bahamas (1965-1966)
• Research Associate, Division of Meteorology and Physical Oceanography, University of
• Honorary Research Associate, Remote Sensing Lab, College of Engineering, University of Miami, 1987-1990
• Consulting meteorologist and private researcher in meteorology, 1990-1997
Fernández Partagás wrote a great amount of articles and papers and gave numerous lectures sponsored by scientific organizations. He was also a guest weather expert on talk shows on various Spanish radio and TV stations.
José J. Fernández Partagás died in the Otto G. Richter Library of the University of Miami on August 23, 1997.
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
System of arrangement
The José Fernández Partagás Papers are organized into three series.
Please see the Finding Aid/Inventory section of this guide for more detailed information.
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Languages of the material