Name and location of repository
Level of description
- 2005 (Creation)
Name of creator
The University of Miami opened in the fall of 1926 with two academic units: the Conservatory of Music (later called the School of Music), and the College of Arts and Sciences. The School was founded by Bertha M. Foster, who became the University’s first music dean. It was renamed the Frost School of Music in 2003 in honor of a landmark naming gift by Dr. Phillip and Patricia Frost, ardent supporters of the arts in Miami.
The School has survived many decades of change and growth to become a national music leader in higher education. It offers degrees in instrumental performance, vocal performance, music engineering, music education, music composition, and musical theatre. It also offers Studio Music and Jazz degrees for instrumentalists and vocalists. Its Studio Music and Jazz program is consistently known as among the best in the nation. It was also the first music school in the nation to offer the innovative degree in Music Business and Entertainment Industries, as well as boasting a hands-on music therapy program.
Name of creator
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
This photograph album contains programs, photographs, and press clippings of the dedication ceremony which took place on January 30, 2005. The building is located on the Coral Gables campus.
A DVD recording of the event was donated by J. William Hipp, former Dean of the school on February 2, 2015.
A program of its 10th anniversary celebration (held on January 23, 2015, 1 page) as well as three kinds of brochures of the music library were donated by Nancy Zavac, Head, Weeks Music Library on February 2, 2015.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Languages of the material