Name and location of repository
Level of description
- 1642-1977 (Creation)
- 1760s-1920s (Creation)
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
The Historical Documents Collection includes letters, deeds, bonds, receipts, orders, position appointments, writings, and other documents that are individual in nature and do not belong to any particular collection. The materials represent a number of prominent figures in the areas of art, literature, music, science, scholarship, business, law, military, politics, diplomacy, and religion. The items range in date from 1642-1977, but the bulk date from the 1760s through the 1920s. Most of the materials are American in origin, although some are from Mexico and Europe, particularly Great Britain.
Individuals represented in the collection include, but are not limited to: Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain), Charles Dickens, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Washington Irving, Aldous Huxley, Rudyard Kipling, Ezra Pound, John Muir, Sigmund Freud, and Igor Stravinsky, Benjamin Butler, James Longstreet, Edmund Gaines Pendleton, Matthew Perry, William Tecumseh Sherman, Friedrich Wilhelm August Heinrich Ferdinand von Steuben, John Quincy Adams, Napoleon Bonaparte, Aaron Burr, Alexander Hamilton, Jefferson Davis, Ulysses Simpson Grant, Sam Houston, Andrew Jackson, James Madison, James Oglethorpe, William Howard Taft, Herbert Hoover, Thomas Paine, Woodrow Wilson, and King Louis XVIII.
System of arrangement
The Historical Documents Collection is organized into seven series.
I. Art, Literature, Music, and Science
IV. Politics, Diplomacy, and Law
Please see the Finding Aid/Inventory section of this guide for more detailed information.
Conditions of access and use elements
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Languages of the material
Scripts of the material
Language and script notes
Generated finding aid
Acquisition and appraisal elements
Immediate source of acquisition
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information
Related materials elements
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Selected materials from this collection have been digitized.
Related archival materials
Descriptive abbreviations used in the collection:
ALS (Autograph Letter Signed): A letter in the hand of and signed by the author.
TLS (Typewritten Letter): A typewritten letter signed by the author
DS (Document Signed): A document written by another person, but signed by the author.
ADS (Autograph Document Signed): A document written and signed by the author.
MS (Manuscript): Nonlegal or unofficial papers such as speeches, biographical sketches, sermons, reminiscences, writings, and such other items of a generally narrative nature, in the hand of the author but unsigned.
ANS (Autograph Note): A line or two, at most a half-page, or any fragment which could not be classified as an ALS or AMS, such as a signed memorandum.
Description control element
Rules or conventions
Subject access points
Name access points
- Adams, John Quincy, 1767-1848 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Alba, Víctor (Subject)
- Calhoun, John C. (John Caldwell), 1782-1850 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Cleveland, Grover, 1837-1908 (Subject)
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870 (Subject)
- Dumas, Alexandre, 1802-1870 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Emerson, Ralph Waldo, 1803-1882 (Subject)
- Freud, Sigmund, 1856-1939 (Subject)
- Garfield, James A. (James Abram), 1831-1881 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Hamilton, Alexander, 1757-1804 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Hugo, Victor, 1802-1885 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 (Subject)
- Longfellow, Henry Wadsworth, 1807-1882 (Subject)
- Louis XVIII, King of France, 1755-1824 (Subject)
- Madison, James, 1751-1836 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Monroe, James, 1758-1831 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Moore, George, 1852-1933 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Paine, Thomas, 1737-1809 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Pound, Ezra, 1885-1972 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Stravinsky, Igor, 1882-1971 (Subject)
- Truman, Harry S., 1884-1972 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Washington, George, 1732-1799 -- Correspondence (Subject)
- Wilson, Woodrow, 1856-1924 -- Correspondence (Subject)