Name and location of repository
Level of description
Cuban Museum of Art & Culture Opening: Cities of the Caribbean February 18, 1994 - April 17, 1994
- 1994 (Creation)
Name of creator
Courses in architecture were first offered at the University of Miami as early as 1926, however programs in architecture and the allied arts did not survive the effects of the Great Miami Hurricane, and the Great Depression. Architectural engineering courses resurfaced under the auspices of the School of Engineering in the late 1940s following World War II, and by 1983, during President Thaddeus "Tad" Foote's administration, the Department of Architecture became independent from the School of Engineering developing into the School of Architecture proper. New campus quarters established at Building 49 (Dickinson Drive) and part of first floor of the adjacent Eaton student residences. The first Dean of the School was John Thomas Regan (1983-1989).
Content and structure elements
Scope and content
Plans, views, photographs and models highlight the rich urban heritage and the mix of cultures which have made of the Caribbean a field of architectural and urban experimentations.